Friday, April 7, 2017

DIY Dr. Seuss Nursery

I decided to do a Dr. Seuss theme for our son, Elijah's nursery. I did a few different DIY projects that really made the Seuss theme come alive. These projects were pretty simple and cost effective, so I thought I would share the ideas below. They were also pretty fun to do, if like me you enjoy being crafty!

Seuss Mod Podge Name Letters

I'm not going to lie... the mod podge letters were a bit tricky! Especially, since this was my first time doing it. The most difficult part was wrapping the book pages around the edges and it was quite sticky and messy (that part I didn't mind so much, though!). Overall, once I got the hang of the technique it become easier and easier.

I had 3 Cat in the Hat books for some reason... so I didn't even have to purchase the book. I just used one of the extras that I already had! With this project, I literally cut out full pages of the Cat in the Hat book and glued them on and wrapped them with the special mod podge glue. I arranged each page in a way where I thought you could see the character or scene best. On some of the bigger letters (the "E" and "H" in particular) I had to use 2 book pages and arrange them in a scene that looked best. I don't think this would have been a problem with smaller wood letters, but the size I bought was quite big. All said and done, I think they turned out great!

I purchased the blank wooden letters on sale at Hobby Lobby for $2 a piece for a total of appropriately $12. The only other item I had to purchase was the mod podge glue and I only used half the bottle. I can use the glue for another project in the future. The mod podge was about $6 at Hobby Lobby. You may even be able to get it for cheaper, however I bought it there since I was already getting the letters there.

I got the vinyl wall dots from an Etsy seller. It really adds a whimsical touch!






Seuss Window Valances

These window valances were simple to make and really brought the Seuss theme to life in Elijah's nursery. You only need a few materials to make these simple valances. Materials needed are polystyrene board, chosen material to wrap valance, straight pins, glue & glue gun. The base of the valances is the polystyrene board which is a foam board that you can buy at Lowes for approximately $10. I measured and had my husband cut to the appropriate proportions using a craft knife. Next, I hot glued the side pieces onto the front, so that it wraps around the top of the window correctly. Then, you wrap your chosen fabric around the valance and pin it on using the straight pins and putting them in on a diagonal (so it doesn't go all the way through board and fabric as they are quite long). For the sides of the valance, you need to cut out smaller pieces of fabric and glue on the edge then wrap and pin as you did with the long front of the valance. On the sides, I did use glue gun as needed to secure fabric.

To attached to window, you just need two long nails (one for each side). You nail diagonally through top of valance and into top of crown molding on your window. The valance is light weight, so it is easily secured with two nails. Here are the results of the Dr. Seuss valances below:






Seuss 8 X 8 Canvas Art

I created these four Seuss Art canvases and it was SO easy! I just bought four 8 X 8 canvas and purchased 4 reusable Seuss bags for $1 each in the dollar section at Target. Then, all you need to do is cut out one side of the bag and wrap it around the canvas and secure it using thumbtacks. Voila, you have instant art for your baby's room wall! You could do this project with any theme if you can find reusable bags based around your theme.





These DIY projects really brightened up the nursery. It was a fun way to prepare for baby... share any fun DIY ideas that you have used in a bedroom or nursery below!


No comments:

Post a Comment